Lessons from my grandmothers

Assalamualaikum and Hi,

Today I want to write about my two grandmothers. I'm someone who's close to my parents & siblings. But I'm not very close to my relatives - grandparents, cousins etc. Maybe it's because our family live far away from them. Nevertheless, my parents always teach us to mingle around & treat others nicely. So whenever we meet, we will always give our best to have quality time with others.

So about my grandmothers, recently both of them came to live with us. My 1st grandmother Maktok from my Abah's side & Nanny (idk why I called this since I was young maybe cus idk who to say nenek) from my Mama's side. 

Maktok lived alone in Penang so she wanted to stay with us because she haven't come to our house & stay here for a long time. Nanny usually came whenever my Uncle went to his in laws house in Perlis.

The similarities I found in my two grandmothers:

Both of then are very shy & polite as compared to girls in our generation - they talk softly, they care a lot about manners, they filter what they talk to people & they are shy with guys. Let's take from a bright side okay? Our generation is way too open with many things, so when I see my grandmothers put a lot of boundaries in a lot of things & very polite I think that's so special because it's like you're a hidden treasure.

They are strong woman - they lived a long time without their husbands & raised kids alone. Nanny lost his husband at young age, I think when she's below 50 & raised 3 children alone. Maktok lost Tokwan 10 years ago & lived alone ever since. Being single is fun but maybe lonely sometimes. But if you're already lived most of your life with your husband, have children together & lost him, it's not an easy thing to do. I don't know how they do that but they're so amazing.

Special things about my grandmothers:

Nanny - she's the educated type of woman. She's very knowledgeable because she read newspapers, both English & Malay up until now. That's so impressive because we follow news update from Twitter only lol. She went to college & work as an accountant. During her time, going to college was like a hugeee & rare thingg. Recently I just knew she work in PJ before she settled down in Penang & I was like whattt I never knew thattt. She's very fashionable back then, wearing nice clothes to work, not like me lol. I will always remember her Spicy Spaghetti Bolognese - cooked in Malaysian style. It's everyone's favourite & I already got the recipe. She loved gardening, she have a garden full of fruits & flowers. Now my Mama followed her footsteps, loving plants more than us hahaha. She's a very sentimental type & loved keeping stuffs that have memories. It's good to keep memories close to your heart but that's not a good thing as she have a lot of unused stuffs. 

Maktok - she's a different person from Nanny. She married at a very young age, became a wife & mother ever since. To be honest I was not close with Maktok until I started working. When she came to live at my parents' house 2 months ago, I realized a lot of amazing things from here. She's a very organised person. She can clean the house like in a very short amount of time. We didn't ask her to do that, it's a habit of hers since she has been a housewife for a very long time. She arranged stuffs here and there to ensure it's neat & tidy. At first I was like why my Maktok always move things around, but it's not that. She just can't get rid of that habit. At times people might misunderstood she's trying to control. But no, it's just something she has been doing her entire life. Maktok is very religious type. She always remind me to perform my prayers on time. She woke up for night prayers every single day. She always listened to Islamic classes online even before she fall asleep. She said if we listened to Islamic things before sleeping, & if we died, we'll die doing good. She always read quran almost all the time. 

Maybe I wasn't close with them before but I'm glad Allah gave me a chance to get to know them closely & learn so many things from them. Because of them too, my wonderful loving parents were brought into this world followed by my birth later on. We might be from different generations but all of us went through a lot too. Listening to their life stories from them gave us something to bring into our lives. For me, when we close the gaps, there's so much love & lessons can be shared.

Over years, I realized life is amazing when we focus on good things other people have rather than seeing bad things. Nobody's perfect, neither both you & I. Open your heart for some love & you'll see great things in life.

As for now, I will be forever thankful for having two amazing grandmothers & will continue to cherish them in my life 👵 💓 

Till then,

Adlina

No comments:

Post a Comment